Flax Seeds (Linum usitatissimum) अलसी : Linseeds, are shiny hard shelled seeds of flax flowers. Due to the tough coating around flax, it is best bought ground and milled. Alternatively whole seeds can be added to hot cereal. Raw flax is also edible by itself.
Health Benefits of Flax Seeds:
- Increased Immune Function
- Reduced Cancer Risk
- Reduced Risk of Colon Cancer
- Protection Against Heart Disease
- Regulation of Blood Sugar and Insulin Dependence
- Slowing the progression of AIDS
- Slowing Aging
- DNA Repair and Protection
- Alleviation of Cardiovascular Disease
- Alleviation of Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Promoted Eye Health
- Alzheimer's Protection
- Osteoporosis Protection
- Stroke Prevention
- Reduced Risk of Type II Diabetes
- Reduced Frequency of Migraine Headaches
- Alleviation of Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS)
- Antioxidant Protection
- Prevention of Epileptic Seizures
- Alleviation of the Common Cold
- Prevention of Alopecia (Spot Baldness)
- Flax seeds are a high fiber food, containing lignans which may help to lower cholesterol levels. The fiber in flax seeds also helps alleviate constipation.
- Flax seeds are high in Omega 3 fatty acids which are thought to help alleviate inflammation and reduce heart disease risk.
*Some of these health benefits are due to the nutrients highly concentrated in Flax Seeds, and may not necessarily be related to Flax Seeds.